Want to know how to make the best coffee-shop worthy latte at home? Then keep on reading.
We all know there is no better feeling than having freshly made coffee at your favourite coffee shop, but can you make just-as-good lattes at home? The answer is you can…all you need is the right knowledge and fortunately this how-to will provide that!
What you’ll need:
- Freshly ground beans or pre-ground beans (we recommend one or two shots worth, depending on how weak or strong you like it)
- Your favourite milk or dairy-free alternative (note: if you are going to use a dairy-free alternative make sure it is the barista edition in order to get a good froth)
- Fresh and unfiltered soft water
- Your favourite mug or cup
- Any additional sweeteners (e.g agave, caster sugar etc)
Step 1: Preparation the Coffee
Prepare your espresso via your coffee machine, instant or cafetiere. We recommend using freshly ground beans in a machine to achieve the best flavour and to save the undertones brewed with the coffee.
Step 2: Frothing Your Milk
Now, prepare your milk. To achieve the best cafe-level latte we would recommend using a milk frother or steamer. This is what you would find is most commonly used in most cafes and coffee shops.
If you are using a frother, we would recommend stopping when it reaches 60ºC to 65ºC. Once this temperature has been reached swirl and moves the pitcher around to get rid of any bubbles and to achieve a creamy frothed texture. This is what is going to make your latte cafe-standard and not your everyday latte.
Step 3: Combine the Coffee and Milk
With your previously-made espresso in your mug or cup, you can now add in your freshly frothed milk.
We recommend aiming for 3/4 of the froth ratio on top of your espresso.
Step 4: Finishing Touches
For a finishing touch, add a little cinnamon or chocolate for the perfect sweetened end note.
We hope this guide has provided you with the knowhow and expertise to make a great at-home latte. With the steps we’ve provided you can easily rival your favourite latte order!